County Clerk’s Office                                            
Ozaukee County Administration Building (Downtown)                                  
121 W. Main St., Room 128
Port Washington, WI  53074
262-284-8110 or 262-238-8110
HOURS:  8:30a.m. – 4:00p.m.-Monday through Friday
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Legal Holidays
Appointments are not required


If either applicant is a resident of Wisconsin, you must apply before the County Clerk of the County in which either is a resident for at least 30 days. They may be married in any county in the State of Wisconsin.


If both applicants are not residents of Wisconsin, you must apply before the County Clerk of the County in which the ceremony is to be performed.


Any person who has attained the age of 18 years may marry if otherwise competent.  If a person is 16 or 17 years of age, a license may be issued with the notarized written consent of the person’s parent(s), guardian or custodian. Consent forms are available in the County Clerk’s office and can be signed and notarized here.


There is a statutory five-day waiting period, exclusive of the day of application, required from the time of application until the license is issued.  For example, if an application is completed on the 10th of a month, the license will be issued and can be used on the 16th of the month. Counting the day after the issuance date, the marriage license is valid for exactly 30 days and must be used in that period of time.  Since the license is valid for 30 days after issuance, application can be made up to 36 days ahead of the ceremony, but no further in advance. Licenses cannot leave the Clerk’s office until the license becomes effective. Couples should take into account that the office is not open Saturdays, Sundays or legal holidays. If a couple is planning to be married on a Saturday, application would have to be made at least by the Friday preceding the week of the marriage to be able to pick up the license during office hours. BEST “RULE OF THUMB” (considering weekends, etc.): Apply no less than 7 days before and no more than 36 days before the ceremony. In some instances, due to unusual circumstances, a waiver may be granted in advance at the discretion of the County Clerk. The Clerk must be contacted prior to application in order to acquire approval for a waiver. Inability to provide required documentation is not justification for a waiver. Waivers will not be granted to anyone under the age of 18. Additional fee will apply.


  • Both applicants must be present at time of application with documentary proof of identification and residence. This is a valid (not expired) drivers license or state ID, showing photo for identification and reflecting your CURRENT ADDRESS. If a current address is not shown on the driver license, a utility bill or other official correspondence addressed to that person must be presented.

***Both Applicants Must Provide Proof of Residence***

  • Certified Birth Certificate:  All applicants, regardless of age, must present a state certified birth certificate when applying for a marriage license in Ozaukee County. The certificate should have a minimum of first name, middle name (if applicable), last name, suffix (if applicable), date of birth, state of birth, city or county of birth, sex, and parents' names. We cannot accept photocopies, certificates issued by hospitals, baptismal records, birth registration notification forms, etc.
  • Social Security Card:  You are required to bring your social security card or a document with your name and complete SSN will be accepted; i.e.; W-2 form, Military I.D.
  • Proof of Previous Marriage: If there have been previous marriages for either applicant, proof showing how and when the last marriage ended must be presented. Divorce: Judgment of Divorce papers is needed. This is the document showing the names of the parties being granted the divorce, with the actual granting date clearly stated and a judge’s signature (the official who granted the divorce). There is a six-month waiting period after the divorce is granted; therefore, a person cannot be issued a marriage license if they have been divorced less than six months. Death: A certified death certificate must be presented. Annulment: Annulment papers must be presented; this would be annulment through the Court system, not through a church. In the case where an applicant has been married more than once, only documentation from the last, most recent marriage is required.
  • Date of Ceremony:  Wedding date must be set before applying for license
  • Officiant: Name, address, phone number and email of person performing the ceremony.

If any of the required documents are not in English, a notarized, translated copy must be presented, in addition to the original.

LICENSE FEE:  A fee of $100.00 to be paid at the time of application is required. We do not accept credit cards, debit cards or out-of-state checks. Sorry, no refunds given. Fees are subject to change at any time and vary between counties.


Marriage hotline: 262-284-8114 or 262-238-8114,Option #1