When the white men first came to this
land now known as Ozaukee County, they found the native
Menomonee, Pottawatomi, Sac and Fox Indian tribes of the
Algonquin nation living peacefully in a land of
outstanding natural beauty. Dense forests of hardwoods
and evergreens covered the rolling hills. In the many
valleys were streams of clear, cool, ever flowing water
threading their way to the sandy shore of Lake Michigan.
Between 1670 and 1680, the first white men to
visit this land were the French traders, LaSalle and
Joliet. They came down the west shore of Lake Michigan to
establish trading and military posts in the name of
France, and the Jesuits, Allouez, Hennepin and Marquette,
to bring Christianity to the native red men. No definite
settlement of the territory was made by France, however,
and in 1761 she yielded her rights to the English who
claimed possession until after the Revolutionary War.
By the Treaty of 1835, the Indian
tribes gave up their homeland and were moved to the
country west of the Mississippi.
The first sale of lands by the
government in Ozaukee County was made at Green Bay on
November 24, 1835 to Wooster Harrison and Associates.
They acquired the lands at the mouth of Sauk Creek,
platted it and called it Wisconsin City. Later the name
was changed to Washington City, and now it is known as